The education department (Hoffman Academy) at Hoffman Homes for Youth is currently accepting applicants for the position of Personal Care Assistant (PCA). This position is assigned to one specific student to provide academic, behavioral, emotional and potentially physical support in accordance with the student’s IEP. This is a temporary position that operates during the school day and 9-month school schedule. The position will exist for as long as the student has a PCA requirement written into his/her IEP or for as long as the student attends Hoffman Homes for Youth.
The PCA will cooperate with the classroom teacher to assist the student with daily routines and structure. Daily practices may involve the following:
- Providing a high level of supervision for the student during the school day.
- Restating or interpreting teacher directions.
- Assisting the student with the use of technology.
- Implementing protocols/practices as a method to refocus the attention of the student or intervene with off task/escalated behavior.
- Document the progress the student and collect data.
- Attend treatment and staff meetings regarding the student.
- Assisting the child with any physical limitations addressed within the IEP.
- Interact in a positive/professional manner with all HH personnel, as well as, parents/guardians, agency workers and others involved with the student.
- Applicants for this position must have a high level of self-control and self-awareness.
- The approach, from this position, must be trauma-informed, mindful and consistent.
- Must possess a strong desire to help an at-risk group of children.
- This position requires attention to detail and good documentation.
- It is imperative that the person in this position avoid distraction and attend to the student as assigned.
- Must have ability to stay active and make good decisions within a busy environment and maintain a calm demeanor while working with an emotional child.
- This position requires strong ethics and accountability
- The PCA must be able to physically implement Emergency Safety Physical Interventions (restraints) if necessary for the safety of the child.
- Applicants must have a high school diploma or the equivalent.
- 18 Years of Age or older.
- Experience with children is preferred.
- A willingness to learn new skills as necessary.
Equal Opportunity Employer